I haven't tried the 2.6 kernel yet, so anything I suggest would be
based on experience with the 2.4 kernel.

One thing is to make sure you have an entry in /etc/modules.conf
to force loading of the autofs4 module.

It should look like:
alias autofs autofs4

If you have to add the line then stop autofs.  Do "rmmod autofs"
and then start autofs again (I believe the init script will load
the module for you).

-Steve