On Sat, 13 Sep 2008, Ian Kent wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 13:08 -0500, Richard Ray wrote:
>> I feel this must be a simple thing but it is not working for me.
>> In auto.misc I have
>>
>> flash -fstype=auto,rw,sync,flush,user    :/dev/sdb1
>>
>> In auto.master I have
>>
>> /misc file:/etc/auto.misc
>>
>> If I cd /misc/flash the device will mount but all files belong to root
>> If I add uid= to auto.misc the files belong to me
>> Should not the user option do that without specifying a uid
>
> The "user" option is an fstab only option.
>
> So, since autofs specifies the device and the mount point mount(8)
> doesn't consult the fstab.
>
> The only option you have is something like:
> flash -fstype=auto,rw,sync,flush,uid=$UID,gid=$GID    :/dev/sdb1
>
> As long as the requester is a valid user on the system it should mount
> as that user.

I am a bit less ignorant now but this opens a new can of worms.
Is there documentation for mount options that are not valid in map files?
$GID and $UID are not variables I see when I run env so where do they come
from?
Are there othere variables that can be used in map files?
Can I use something like $(id -u) in a map file?

Thanks
Richard Ray