>> i was to onervous to try the real patch for now.  so i just quickly hacked
>> in another buffer using the MAX_IFC_LEN.  so far it seems to be happy.  i
>> guess i'll find out about the new malloc setup when i go to 5.3.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think your caution is a sensible and responsible
> approach to an unknown patch. I understand this only too well.

on my server with 1000 ips, the ip i care about is near the front, so 2048
is plenty big enough to find it.

i am still having some kind of issue where at boot time, it can't seem to
find a server or talk to mountd or something like that and then won't try
again.  it looks like maybe this is the negative caching feature?  is that
new as well?