> No!
>
> I considered that at the outset of version 5 development and decided
> against it after working on integrating the outdated code that was
> included in the nss_ldap distribution. Unless the situation changes
> significantly then I'm not likely to change my mind on this.

Does it mean that the nss_ldap is heavily outdated then?
> I would have to write the nss code for "all" the possible sources
> against a an API that is difficult to write for, partly because the
> interface documentation is lousy. Not to mention that I'd then be at the
> mercy of nss_ldap changes and bugs, and autofs would depend on a
> configuration file that it doesn't control.

My primary concern was why should we (linux distro maintainers) support
2 things essentially doing the same?
I did not mean you specifically. Maintaining the libnss* libraries
should be (probably) job for someone else - you keep focused on the
autofs-specific tasks.
And if you think your nss_ldap is better, why should not it serve other
purposes (like gathering user info from LDAP repository), too?

I mean, from the longer perspective, I believe we should merge these
things. It is neither elegant nor transparent for normal sysadmins.

> Ian

Ondrej