Normally we'd expect to see something like this in an auto.master map:

        /net                    -hosts          -nobrowse,nosuid
        /home                   auto_home       -nobrowse

The -hosts built-in map uses the mount protocol to derive a list of
exports (as Bill did with showmount) and it'll mount the whole
hierarchy if you touch all the triggers, i.e. it'll mount "/backup"
then "/backup/download".  For some reason, it appears that
the /net map on the client isn't working at all.  Bill, is there
an autofs mount on /net ?

I wouldn't normally expect hierarchical home directory mounts
unless the map entry in auto_home is specifically configured
to provide it, e.g.

        shannon  \
                /               nissan:/export/home/shannon \
                /stuff  nissan:/export/home/shannon/stuff

However, normally you should expect /home to be set up
with the username rather than the hostname as the key, e.g.
you should be trying to access "/home/shannon" or somesuch
rather than "/home/nissan".

        Brent