Hello,

Is there a way to use autofs to manage two filesystems, where the second
filesystem is dependent on the first?

An example is where the first filesystem holds an ISO image, and the second
filesystem is a loop mounting of that image.  Another example is where the
second filesystem is a bind mount from within the first filesystem.

I have tried with a direct map like this:

    /svfs/stuff -fstype=bind :/srv/topmnts/fs0/stuff
    /srv/topmnts/fs0 -fstype=auto :-Lfs0

If I try and access /srv/topmnts/fs0 first, and then try to access
/svfs/stuff, this works just fine.  However, if I try to access /svfs/stuff
first, I get "No such file or directory", and the log gets ">> mount:
special device /srv/topmnts/fs0/stuff does not exist".

So it looks like autofs's filesystem access is not itself subject to autofs
intervention?

The strange thing is, I'm sure I have had a similar configuration working in
the past.  But unfortunately I no longer have access to those systems and
configuration data.

I'm using autofs 5.0.4 as packaged by Debian squeeze.

Finally, what would you call such a feature?  Recursive automounts?  Chained
automounts?  Dependent automounts?

  Regards, Frank.