%% "Masterson, David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  md> If you want, I have a Perl tool that I picked up and enhanced
  md> called PKGLINK that could help with this.  Basically, with
  md> pkglink, you install all packages in there own prefix directory
  md> and then use pkglink to symbolically link the default version you
  md> want to publish into /usr/local (or someplace similar).  The users
  md> only see /usr/local in their PATH(s), but you (the sysadmin) can
  md> control which version is in /usr/local and easily uninstall
  md> packages (simply un-pkglink and remove the package's prefix
  md> directory).

There's already a GNU tool called "stow" which does much the same thing,
and does handy stuff like automatically making sure you're using the
fewest number of symlinks, etc. (e.g., if you have only one version of
the tool then stow just puts one symlink to the top of its data
directory; if you install a second one it automatically explodes that
link into multiple links for the multiple data directories).

Stow is cool.  We had a discussion about possible enhancements a few
months ago, but no real consensus on specific ways to handle the various
problems emerged.  Fresh insight is always welcome :).

 Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Network Management Development