Peter Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Do built sources go in $srcdir or $builddir?

They should go in $builddir.  Having a read-only $srcdir while
building should be possible.

> The automake rules for lex et al want to put the sources in
> $builddir, but it seems that 'make dist' expects them to be in
> $srcdir.

I think that the theory behind this is that this is supposed to be
made into a tar-ball, and therefore it should include all files.  And
besides, it's the maintainer doing this and therefore $srcdir should
be writable.

> I poked around and found out that --cygnus will make automake
> look for built souces in $builddir, but I want to specify
> --gnu.

I don't really think you want to be messing around with cygnus/gnu/and
all that.

> What's the right way to deal with this?

See above? :-)

/assar