I've started using AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(aux) and stow away files into aux/.
I've also tried to stow aclocal.m4 into that directory, which works fine with
"aclocal --output=aux/aclocal.m4", and using "-l | --localdir" options for
autoheader and autoconf.  What is missing is the -l option for automake, it
seems.  I may be wrong, and the bug can be caused by something else.

The bug I'm tracking is one where the DEPDIR definition disappears from the
Makefile.in templates when aclocal.m4 isn't located in the current directory
when I'm running automake:

  [nfs] SoQt > mv aux/aclocal.m4 .
  [nfs] SoQt > automake
  Makefile.am:11: directory should not contain `/'
! [nfs] SoQt > grep DEPDIR src/Inventor/Qt/Makefile.in | head -3
! DEPDIR = @DEPDIR@
! DEP_FILES =  @AMDEP@ $(DEPDIR)/SoQt.Plo $(DEPDIR)/SoQtComponent.Plo \
  $(DEPDIR)/SoQtCursors.Plo $(DEPDIR)/SoQtGLWidget.Plo \
  [nfs] SoQt > mv aclocal.m4 aux/
  [nfs] SoQt > automake
  Makefile.am:11: directory should not contain `/'
! [nfs] SoQt > grep DEPDIR src/Inventor/Qt/Makefile.in | head -3
! DEP_FILES =  @AMDEP@ $(DEPDIR)/SoQt.Plo $(DEPDIR)/SoQtComponent.Plo \
  $(DEPDIR)/SoQtCursors.Plo $(DEPDIR)/SoQtGLWidget.Plo \
  $(DEPDIR)/SoQtLightSliderSet.Plo $(DEPDIR)/SoQtMaterialSliderSet.Plo \
  [nfs] SoQt >

BTW; this is with CVS Autoconf and Automake (just updated) and libtool 1.3.5.

  Lars J