Kevin> I find though that I got it wrong for the case where automake
Kevin> isn't automatically generating any suffixes, but rather there's
Kevin> only user-supplied ones with $(SUFFIXES).  This comes up in
Kevin> autoconf I think.

Thanks.  I'm checking in your patch.

Kevin> The one liner below is the amendment.  If it can't be
Kevin> considered part of the original change, then a log entry might
Kevin> be,

Every change needs a log entry.  Here's what I ended up using:

2000-12-21  Kevin Ryde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        * automake.in (handle_footer): Generate .SUFFIXES target when user
        defines suffixes but automake does not.

Tom