Christoph> I thought of using the auto* tools for building python
Christoph> extensions a few months ago now, but since i was using
Christoph> swig, i did not know how to integrate the swig meta files
Christoph> (*_wrap.c) into the auto* stuff - the way to write a script
Christoph> which edits the Makefile.in does not look practical to me.

We're always interested in having automake work well with other free
software projects.  I've never used swig, so I don't know exactly what
is required.  But changes here, if they are useful, are possible.

Tom