Oh, ok, perhaps I was confused by the note in automake 1.13.1's NEWS file
(iirc), which said

Support for IRIX and the SGI C/C++ compilers will be removed in
  Automake 1.14: they have seen their last release in 2006, and SGI
  is expected to retire support from them in December 2013

Did that not happen?