Hello Karl,
don't get me wrong. I think GNU Autotools will not vanish and projects will rely on it for at least another decade. I am thankful for your work and we need to keep this project alive. That is the reason I am proposing to apply for contributions. Still, I think many projects do not need the level of compatibility Autotools provide and profit more from C++ module and recent language feature support.

     It could also help out on the way to Automake 2.0.

As long as I'm the primary person driving Automake, there will not be an
Automake 2.0. I have no plans to ever work on that, and see no need for
it, either.

Good to know. All Automake release announcements since 2.13 warn about future Automake 2.0 incompatibilities.
     Do you feel like not trying it in the first place?

Let me ask this: if we end up being accepted, what are we committing
ourselves to do?  Anything? (wrt to the neighborhoodies or the
government.) Submit a report?

At the beginning there is a meeting between you (maybe more people, I can take part, too) and the developers. Citing the FAQ:
> Upon invitation to BRP, the maintainers will be introduced to
> Neighbourhoodie Software, which is determines the scope of the
> activities most needed by the project. The BRP reviews the scope
> of work and approves it, and Neighbourhoodie Software then
> provides the contributions.

Assuming we aren't forced to do things like accept patches we don't
want, or explain endlessly how m4 works, overall, I guess my feeling is
that there's probably no harm in trying. Despite our skepticism, maybe
we will be pleasantly surprised and get some useful results. That would
be nice.

I totally agree!

I have a bunch of wording issues with your proposed text, but that is minor.

Please share text improvements with me, once we decide to apply.

Bye
Christoph