You can troubleshoot this by separating mDNS resolution from service discovery.

If you can ping either name with .local appended, mDNS resolution is working.

You should have the nss_mdns pkg installed and your /etc/nsswitch.conf should
have a hosts line something like:

hosts: files mdns dns

Then ping bromance.local or BRN001BA9A2273F.local and see which one responds.

Then you can search for the printer service once you can ping.

From FreeBSD:
avahi-browse _printer._tcp
or
avahi-browse _ipp._tcp

depending on the printer you have.

From a macOS machine:
dns-sd -B _printer._tcp local
or
dns-sd -B _ipp._tcp local

If you get a response here, you’re all set. If not, describe what works and
what doesn’t.

Tom