> Isn't that what the RFC 6762 recommends?
It is required (MUST). The optional thing the RFC states after this requirement:

   Implementers MAY choose to look up such names concurrently via other
   mechanisms (e.g., Unicast DNS) and coalesce the results in some
   fashion.

This is why I asked about whether a parallel lookup is possible; which would be
according to the standard and would work for the particular use case of
networks that have ".local" in use for unicast DNS.
Unfortunately that doesn't work with nsswitch, if I understand Petr correctly.

Esko