On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM, fredrik haeffner
<jfhaeff...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
> It's:
>
> Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
> Release:    12.10
> Codename:    quantal
>

> and
>
> Avogadro:
>
> Application 1.03
>

> If you open Avogadro and build a molecule, you can select all (or partially)
> atoms, copy-n-paste it. That works fine. It is when  you copy coordinates
> from a terminal window into Avogadro that is the problem. It works fine to
> paste those coordinates into Avogadro. It's now the problem comes around.
> Copying and pasting in Avogadro now only results in pasting the coordinates
> copied from the Terminal window that is stored in the buffer, clipboard.. oo
> whatever it's called. The list that stores the coordinates doesn't get
> updated. It's a problem that makes me not being able to use Avogadro under
> Ubuntu.

I am using a KDE desktop with Avogadro master, but what you described
works fine here. I will see if I can get on an Ubuntu machine next
week, what terminal/window manager (Unity perhaps?) I seem to be able
to switch back and forth, but I rarely copy xyz files from a console.

> On mac I have had other problems. The program crashes every time I am trying
> to paste coordinates into Avogadro or paste them into, say, Emacs. I have
> tried to remove Avogadro from the Mac and re-installed it. but the problem
> persists on that machine. I used Avogadro for 1 1/2 year on it until this
> now happens. Is it a memory allocation problem of some sort?
>
> I love Avogadro and use it every day. best program around. It's just that it
> bugs and crashes...

As Geoff has said, he uses it and builds it on his machine. I have a
Macbook Pro I do some testing on too, and use a little (although my
main desktop is Linux). We will look into better diagnostics we could
add to binaries as I have never observed this very crashy issue on Mac
and it would be great to see a backtrace to understand what might be
causing it.

Thanks for the feedback, I will see if I can spot the issue on Ubuntu.
We are committed to producing a more stable application, I think there
are some exciting developments on the horizon. In the meantime, I will
see if there are any crasher bugs in 1.1 that we can track down and
remedy.

Thanks,

Marcus