On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Miro Moman <miromo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am struggling to build Avogadro 1.1.1 from source in Ubuntu 15.10 x86-64.
>
> I run
>
> cmake ../
> -DEIGEN2_INCLUDE_DIR=/home/administrator/Downloads/avogadro/eigen-eigen-b23437e61a0
>
> followed by make
>
> Everything seems to compile fine but there is an issue at linking stage:
>
> [100%] Building CXX object
> avogadro/src/CMakeFiles/avogadro-app.dir/qrc_avogadro.cxx.o
> Linking CXX executable ../../bin/avogadro
> /usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/avogadro-app.dir/main.cpp.o: undefined reference to
> symbol 'XInitThreads'
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing
> from command line
> avogadro/src/CMakeFiles/avogadro-app.dir/build.make:1552: recipe for target
> 'bin/avogadro' failed
> make[2]: *** [bin/avogadro] Error 1
> CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2925: recipe for target
> 'avogadro/src/CMakeFiles/avogadro-app.dir/all' failed
> make[1]: *** [avogadro/src/CMakeFiles/avogadro-app.dir/all] Error 2
> Makefile:136: recipe for target 'all' failed
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> The reason for compiling from source is that Avogadro depends on
> libopenbabel but that conflicts with my OpenBabel 2.3.90 installation.

I fixed something similar in GLEW compile recently, it would appear
the Linux distros have changed linker behavior/library layouts in
recent releases. I will see if I can reproduce and come up with a
patch, I think this is transitive linking that used to work fine and
you must now explicitly call out libraries you use symbols from.

Thanks,

Marcus