Does this function stop working? It used to work fine, but when I tried it in
these two days, I got nothing. No error, no warning, and no result.

From: Geoffrey Hutchison [mailto:geoff.hutchi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 2, 2016 3:37 PM
To: avogadro-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Avogadro-Discuss] (no subject)

If I build a molecule from “File” > “Import” > “Fetch by chemical name…”, how
exactly is the molecule built?

The structure is fetched via the NIH molecular resolver:

https://cactus.nci.nih.gov/chemical/structure

How much can I trust the bond angle or bond length building this way?

Personally, I'd highly suggest using force field minimization. In principal,
the molecular geometries are built from CORINA, a package that uses crystal
structure geometries. But I don't think I'd draw any conclusions other than
"it's probably a reasonable starting geometry"

-Geoff

---

Prof. Geoffrey Hutchison

Department of Chemistry