As René Liebscher wrote:

> as C guarantees only 16 bit for an int but 32 bit for a long, you
> better take the long as fallback. (even if is unlikely that avrdude
> will ever be compiled for a machine with only 16 bit integer.)

We rely on default integers being 32 bit in AVRDUDE in so many places,
so I think this is a moot point.

If you really think it's necessary, you could still check for UINT_MAX
being large enough.  I think that's better than potentially allocating
64-bit integers here.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/