Doug Cutting wrote:

> Requiring servers to copy the call-id to responses
> is an incompatible change.  So is adding a magic number.

Do we want to introduce these incompatible changes in 1.3? If yes, I can
file a JIRA and work on it. In 1.3 we can just introduce the simple
(synchronous) client and server.

Since the servers should anyway respect call-id, shall we also say that
every request should have a call-id. The simple (synchronous) client may
send the same id for every request. Since, with a synchronous client, there
won't be more than one request outstanding at any given point in time,
sending the same call-id is fine. This simplifies the protocol as there are
no conditional elements in the request. This proposal makes the current
client and server incompatible. Doug's original proposal makes only the
server incompatible.

What do you think?

Thiru