Hi Bruce,

Would this RPC protocol take the role of the transport in the Avro
specification or would it replace the protocol?  If the handshake
occurs on channel 0 while the request/response payloads are
transferred on a different channel, this would not meet the existing
wire protocol as described in the current 1.3.2 spec right?

A couple other questions inline:

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Bruce Mitchener
<bruce.mitche...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I recommend actually reading RFC 3080 (it is an easy read), this
> summary may help...
>
> Framing: Length prefixed data, nothing unusual.
> Encoding: Messages are effectively this:
>
> enum message_type {
>    message,            // a request
>    reply,                  // when there's only a single reply
>    answer,               // when there are multiple replies, send multiple
> answers and then a null.
>    null,                    // terminate a chain of replies
>    error,                  // oops, there was an error
> }
>
> struct message {
>    enum message_type message_type;
>    int channel;
>    int message_id;
>    bool more;          // Is this message complete, or is more data coming?
> for streaming
>    int sequence_number; // see RFC 3080
>    optional int answer_number; // Used for answers
>    bytes payload;   // The actual RPC command, still serialized here
> }
>
> When a connection is opened, there's initially one channel, channel 0. That
> channel is used for commands controlling the connection state, like opening
> and closing channels.  We should also perform Avro RPC handshakes over
> channel 0.

Is channel 0 used exclusively as a control channel or would requests
be allowed on this channel?  Any idea on what the control messages
would look like?

> Channels allow for concurrency.  You can send requests/messages down
> multiple channels and process them independently. Messages on a single
> channel need to be processed in order though. This allows for both
> guaranteed order of execution (within a single channel) and greater
> concurrency (multiple channels).
>
> Streaming happens in 2 ways.

For streaming transfers, thoughts on optional compression codec
attachment to streaming channels?  It may be useful for IO-bound
applications, but if you're transferring files like avro object
container files that are already compressed - you'd need some extra
coordination (but maybe that's outside the problem domain).