Hello Pete, that works! =)

This is the normal browser view:
http://away3d-dev.googlegroups.com/web/screenshot01.jpg

When I switch to fullscreen just using this single line ...
stage.displayState=StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN;

... it looks like this (and frame rate drops to some 13 FPS):
http://away3d-dev.googlegroups.com/web/screenshot02.jpg

But if I add your code ...

var scalingRect:Rectangle=new Rectangle(0,0,500,375);
stage["fullScreenSourceRect"]=scalingRect;
stage.displayState=StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN;

... it looks like this (with the same framerate as in normal browser
view =):
http://away3d-dev.googlegroups.com/web/screenshot03.jpg

Thank you!
Stefan