If it's just 40kb of size, then it's not related to the transfer
protocol. And switching to AMF would not help because the file itself
is binary, so whether it's transferred directly on top of HTTP (via a
regular GET query) or encoded into an AMF stream (which in most
situations still uses HTTP) makes little difference.

Have you tried profiling where the actual delay happens? How are those
20 seconds distributed across the different phases of loading the
model, such as net/HTTP query, database query, file reading, network
transfer back to the client, parsing on the client, and initialization
code on the client?

Cheers
/R