I was thinking about using trigonometry in this way:
I know that my camera has a vertical FOV in degrees, and I know the
height of my cube. This way I can draw an isosceles triangle. Now I
can use trigonometry. I divide the triangle in two horizontally and
got two right triangles with these attributes:
beta angle = FOV/2
b cathetus = cube.height / 2

in this way the distance from camera and the side of the cube is equal
to the a cathetus so my formule should be: a = sin(beta) / b +
cube.depth / 2

well... this idea of mine............... doesn't work in practice... I
get a number way too far to what I achieved by trial and error =\