Excerpts from Andrei Thorp's message of Tue Jul 14 11:03:46 -0400 2009:
> Hello there again! This is a somewhat manual cherry-pick request on part
> of the next branch.
>
> Available at:
>
>   g...@git.mercenariesguild.net:obvious.git next
>
> Andrei 'Garoth' Thorp (2):
>       [d2aa9c2] Lib: hooks lib w/ awful timer wrapper functions
>       [aead25c] Lib/Util: Added bold & colour functions
>
> So this adds some interesting stuff to Obvious. The main big conceptual
> addition is the Obvious "lib" -- the idea here is to provide an
> extension to awful for use with Obvious. The plan would be to put stuff
> like mpd backends (one is in the works in another branch), /proc parsing
> backends, and utilities in there.
>
> So far, I've implemented some maybe exciting stuff:
>  * The basic file structure for the lib
>  * lib/hooks/timer: This is an extension of awful.hooks.timer. It has
>    some extra features: (Thanks to anrxc for some ideas.)
>       * Each timer register takes a regular speed, a slow speed, the fn,
>         and a description.
>       * You can access the data for registered functions at any point,
>         or change it. This should be interesting for changing the speeds
>         on stuff that was registered by widgets and not by the user
>         directly (hopefully). The description aids in identifying which
>         timer goes with what if you're trying to do this.
>       * You can tell a registered function (or all functions at once!)
>         to change speed to slow or regular. This may be useful for a
>         "low usage" kind of setup where you want your widgets running,
>         but not so quickly because you're on battery or something. Maybe
>         you just feel like slow-motion :)
>       * You can pause/unpause any function (or all at once). When they
>         are resumed, they remember which speed they were at before being
>         paused. This is great for that "I'm on battery, suspend my
>         widgets" moment.
>       * Check whether a function is registered. Useful for some dynamic
>         stuff.
>  * lib/util: A basic set of utilities. So far, this just has simple bold
>    + colour functions that someone may want to improve at some point.
>    They're just wrappers for the pango markup.
>
> There is another patch in next that I don't think is quite ready for
> merge. It's a port of my popup run prompt to this. It works, but slow-mo
> isn't quite in. Don't grab that :)
>
> Hopefully some people are as excited about this timer stuff as I am,
> haha. Maybe I'm just crazy though.
>
> Cheers.

Okay, so I've actually finished porting the popup_run_prompt to this as
a demo. You can actually slow down how fast it slides now. Not very
practical, but pretty cool :P I might end up taking this out at some
point so this widget isn't affected by slowing by default.

      [5fb091f] Run Prompt: Used Obvious timer hook instead of awful

Also in branch next. Thanks, farhaven!
--
Andrei Thorp, Developer: Xandros Corp. (http://www.xandros.com)