On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 08:18:22PM +0200, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> The subject says it all. :P
>
> Reasons why this is better:
> - - It times out after 1 sec if mpd is unreachable, old code could freeze
awesome
> - - It works with passworded mpd servers (untested, but saw a bug in the
old code)
> - - It can do xcb-style async requests
> - - The code doesn't have a 200 lines license header ;)
> - - It doesn't error out badly if lua-socket is missing
> - - No API breakage, old code will continue to work
> - - I wrote it!
>
> Uli

Hi,

You might wanna check the latest version of http://hg.kaworu.ch/lua-mpd
which is able to connect to more than one MPD and handle configurable
auto-reconnection and don't freeze since a while.

If you see a bug in a program it would have been kind of you to yield at
the author (which in this case is me). That's actually why there is an
e-mail address in the "200 lines license header".

In your refactoring of your "waaaay better version with a waaaay better
license" you missed some stuff though.

+function toggle_random()
+    local reply = send("status")
+    if stats.random == "0" then
+        send("random 1")
+    else
+        send("random 0")
+    end
+end

I don't understand your "I hate that 200 lines BSD license" and "let's
fork it rather than improving it" guys. Even if I really dislike GPL
license I'm helping various project (as awesome for example) if I find a
bug or make an improvement. Because Free Software is (or at least should
be) about people, not about the code. So be nice. Send patches to the
upstream project. That's how it works.

Look, even if I rewrote at least 3 times this lib there is still the
link to the original project that inspired the lib. You could have done
the same.

Regards,
Alex.