On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Julien Danjou <jul...@danjou.info> wrote:
> At 1252812066 time_t, Cedric GESTES wrote:
>
> I like the concept of "run or raise", but your implementation. It seems
> there's too much duplicate with awful.rules.
>
> I guess this should be just a function and a matter of applying rules.
>
> What do you think?
There is just the possibility to apply rules on the spawned client.
But the point behind this module is just to run or raise the program.
I will provide two default set of options. The default one that
basicaly just run or raise, and a "dropdown" set that be used to
create menu launcher or quake like terminal (this time using a
particular set of rules). Rules are handled directly by this module
because dropdown client often need special properties and this add
only very few line of code.
I can also remove example with rules and the default.rules table and
nothing will left about rules except 2 or 3 lines calling awful.rules
on the new spawned client.

What do you prefer?

It will work the same for me. It just move the table to my configuration file.

I think including a default set of rules to let the client be
ontop/sticky/floating/skip_taskbar is pratical for user. I think's
that is the second common use case for this module.

maybe:

-- no rules at all
awful.runorraise("firefox")

-- sticky (use default sticky rules)
awful.runorraise.sticky("gnome-terminal")

would be better?