At 1254780162 time_t, lukash wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:57:10 +0200 (CEST) Julien Danjou
> <jul...@danjou.info> wrote:
> > > It is more complicated :) If you make resizing to all available space
> > > default,
> > > and put this horizontal.leftright into a vertical.topdown,
> > > horizontal.leftright
> > > would take all vertical space and nothing under it could be drawn.
> >
> > Of course you can, that's the point of topdown.
>
> I don't understand?

Let me be clearer. If you don't want to take all the vertical space, so
you can put other widgets under a row, you just use the topdown layout
so you can put another row of widget.

In anyway, the height should be max() of all widgets height in a row.

> Ok, please try to remove the height = wibox.height from the default
> rc.lua and see what happens. Then you can propose your own solution :)

I'll try, I just imagine it does not take the full height. But that's
not the layout work to try to resize widgets.

> Regarding resizing, I can see at least one case where almost every user
> will want the image resized, and thats the client icons. Everyone will
> set different height of his panel and will want the icons scaled so
> that they take up exactly the height of his panel.

So in this case it's just a matter of setting the widget height.

> > No, the height is defined by the maximum height of all widget in a row
> > (for horizontal).
>
> Thats how my layouts behave if you don't set the height.

Ok, so, that's perfect. (I admit I did not have time to proof read the
code and check that).

> Yes, I definately aggree, but you also need to make sure the wheel fits
> your Ferrari. I haven't seen GTK layouts, will do so when I have time,
> but without knowing much of how it works and what it can do, I think
> there are some differences in what awesome needs and what GTK does. In
> awesome you want to have pixel precision to set the widgets the way you
> want, sometimes scale them to take up all the space (I suppose, yeah).

That's almost the same in GTK+.

> I see we might gonna have another argument, so lets have it on IRC
> tomorrow, so that we don't spam the ML :D. To give you an idea of what
> I'm trying to do, here's a screenshot of my unfinished panel:
> http://omploader.org/vMmhtNA. See that I want the icons scaled up to
> 48px. (I'd also like awesome to use the higher resolution icons from
> the WM hints or how is it called :))

Seems nice, indeed. I don't see the problem of the scaling, can you
elaborate?

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou