On 31.03.2012 16:05, Anurag Priyam wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Anurag Priyam <anurag08pri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Otherwise, setting a client dockable from rc.lua using
>> awful.client.dockable.set doesn't work as expected.
>>
>> Btw, what is a dock?  Those MacOS ones?

Those too. Awesome's wibox counts as a dock. Gnome's panel is a dock. To quote
EWMH:

  _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK indicates a dock or panel feature. Typically a
  Window Manager would keep such windows on top of all other windows.

> Oops! Had forgotten to attach patch.

Patch 1:

> -        or c.type == "dock"
> +        or dockable.get(c)

Uhm, the one kind of dock (see above) doesn't have anything to do with the other
kind of dock. client.dockable.get() is for clients which "stick" to the corner
of the workarea when they are moved near to it (the client has to be floating
for this to work). That client then always stays in that position and makes the
workarea smaller. I use that e.g. for gimp's utility windows, so that they are
always visible even though they are floating.

So I have no clue what this patch really is trying to do, but I don't think it
makes sense.

Oh, now that I looked at dockable.get(): This would make gimp's utility windows
unfocusable.

> And in the mean time I found another one on the same lines.

Patch 2:

> -            or c.type == "splash" or c.type == "dock" or c.type == "desktop")
> +            or c.type == "splash" or client.dockable.get(c) or c.type ==
> "desktop")

Nah, thanks. Same reasoning as above ("makes no sense to me, explain!"). This
would remove gimp's utility windows from the tasklist and I'd like them to stay
in there.

Uli
--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
 people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."