I use spawn_with_shell to control mpd by making keyboard shortcuts for mpc
commands in rc.lua. Just using spawn makes the mouse cursor change to it's
this from happening(I'm not at my computer at the moment so I can't test it)?

This is my first time replying to a mailing list, so I hope I did everything
right.