Hi,

On 12.11.2012 11:13, Yuri D'Elia wrote:
Hi everyone. I was checking out the sources of awesome to try doing some
work on focus stealing yesterday, but I was suprised of how slow is (rev
6a6e49...) compared to 3.4.13 (debian unstable).

There seems to be some sort of obvious problem with the tile layout at
least. When switching through terminals I can notice the borders of all
the windows being repainted in the tile.

Awesome does not paint any window borders. It just tells the X11 server which size and color the borders have.

If I float a terminal and I resize it though the mouse all the other
windows "shake" too (it's like the windows are being relaidout at every
event).

Awesome re-layouts windows quite a lot. Like, *really* often. But awesome 3.4 does that, too, so nothing changes about it. However, nothing should shake, because windows get the position that they are already at.

This is less noticeable if all the windows don't have geometry hints or
all of them are floated.

Geometry hints? Why does that matter?

Another thing I noticed is the new menubar. It's very nice (I quickly
trashed the launcher entirely) but it's also equally slow. Pressing
left-right or any event takes almost 2 seconds to respond on a 1.3ghz
box when displaying the debian standard menu.

Could you strace awesome and show me/us the result? Something like "strace -ttT -o /tmp/trace.out awesome" and then doing some "slow" actions and exiting awesome again. Beware, the file will be huge. The only syscall that may take a while should be epoll_wait().

Uli