Hi,

there exists a regression in awesome 3.5 (see [1] and maybe [2]): It’s
not possible to use sloppy focus to exactly define which window should
have the input focus. On fast mouse moves the wrong window is getting
the focus. I tried to eliminate the problem and I even found a working
solution (at least for me it’s working).

It seems to me, that awesome is handling all the focus itself but then
there is the focusin-event listener. Probably awesome is switching the
focus very fast (because of the sloppy focus and the fast moves). Now
xcb fires focusin-events for each of the focus-switches and calls the
function client_update_focus(c) where c is the window xcb sends in the
event. But this must be the wrong window, because after the mouse move
the correct window has the focus and after that there is the
focusin-event for the wrong window. So awesome unfocuses the correctly
focused window and gives the focus via the client_update_focus(…)-call
to the wrong one.

When I completely disable the focusin-event handler, everything works as
I expect. So far I noticed also no other flaws since using my patched
version of awesome.

Probably my patch is not ok, but maybe there is someone who can point me
in the right direction? There must be something wrong with the ordering
of the events or maybe awesome triggers xcb events which it is receiving
afterwards at the wrong time?

The patch for discussion is in a follow-up.

Best regards,
Stefan Haller

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.window-managers.awesome/9692
[2] https://awesome.naquadah.org/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=1084