Hi,

On 05.12.2013 22:16, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> On 03.12.2013 11:06, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
>> Quoting Uli Schlachter (2013-12-03 08:54:22)
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I just thought about adding a "blob" property which contains just a random
>>> string that is completely uninterpreted by awesome, but could be accessed by
>>> lua. This blob would however need a better name than just "blob", of course.
>>>
>>> This isn't much work on the C side and shifts the problem into lua-land
>>> (aka "no
>>> longer my problem" ;-) ).
>>>

>>> If it were called "blob", I would save it in "AWESOME_BLOB" and have it
>>> accessible as c.blob. There are some obvious problems like "who controls the
>>> blob" where different modules both would want to save stuff in there. If
>>> this
>>> should be solved, then "blob" would not only need a way better name, but
>>> would
>>> also need to be a table. And I would have to think about how to serialize a
>>> lua
>>> table into an X11 property...
>>
>> I am not sure about maximum size of X11 property but I can imagine few use
>> cases
>> (mostly around preserving state between restarts, saving, restoring, maybe
>> profiles?)
>
> Good question. The only thing I found in the docs:
>
> "The maximum size of a property is server-dependent and may vary dynamically."
>
> Anyway, attached is a patch which implements a "blob" property on clients.
> This
> is a string that survives restarts. Of course, this needs some helper
> functions
> in awful so that more than one thing can be saved in here. No idea about the
> format for this and too lazy to think about it.
>
> So this patch is just a proof of concept that people can experiment with.
> Also,
> I still don't like the name "blob".
>
> [...]
>>> What do you guys think?
>>
>> I'd welcome uncle blob with open arms. I believe a nice Lua access API will
>> be
>> needed but that's a separate point...
>
> Looking forward to someone implementing this. :-)

Just pushed a commit to git which adds the c.blob property. Not much changed,
except that the X11 property is now called AWESOME_NAQUADAH_BLOB to have less
changes of name collisions.

Still looking forward to someone implementing some nice lua API on top of this.

Cheers,
Uli

P.S.: All code that messes with c.blob directly will be shot. We really need
some nice lua API for this that avoids collisions and is nicer than "just a
string"!
--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
 people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."