Daniel writes:

>  This doesn't work at all in current awesome. Any changes done which
>  could've broken it? I don't thing the signal function is called at all...

My awesome is 3.4.5 and here is the code I'm using:

recurse = true
client.add_signal("new", function(c)
   c:add_signal("property::icon", function()
                                     print(c.icon)
      if not recurse then return end
      c.icon:save("/tmp/icon.png")
      local h =
io.popen("convert -colorspace Gray /tmp/icon.png /tmp/icon2.png"):read("*all")
      recurse = false
      c.icon = image("/tmp/icon2.png")
      recurse = true
   end)
end)

There was a line in Uli's code that prevented the function from proceeding further. If this wouldn't work either, then they definitely screwed something up in new version.