Reading what to do in the wiki wasn't enough for a newbie like me. It said
this:
 How to prevent floating clients opening offscreen?

Enable *awful.placement* calls in your manage signal handler:

   -- Floating clients don't overlap, cover
   -- the titlebar or get placed offscreen
   awful.placement.no_overlap(c)
   awful.placement.no_offscreen(c)

So I stuck the code in the "-- {{{ Signals" section right before:
client.add_signal("focus", function(c) c.border_color =
beautiful.border_focus end)
client.add_signal("unfocus", function(c) c.border_color =
beautiful.border_normal end)
-- }}}

The rc.lua file tested OK, but it wasn't. It kept awesome from reading my
custom rc.lua and loaded the defaults instead.

The wiki code appears already in the Signals section in this test:
        if not c.size_hints.user_position and not
c.size_hints.program_position then
            awful.placement.no_overlap(c)
            awful.placement.no_offscreen(c)
        end

So I'm still wondering how to get new windows to open onscreen.

Lane