On 19.10.2011 06:58, 曹思亮 wrote:
> This is what i3-wm does.
>
> I like xft, but I prefer bitmap font at smaller size. although xft
> also has bitmap fonts, it seems that xfs handle bitmap font better.
>
> So, if I want to change my default font to xfs, what should I write
> for the value of "theme.font"?

Awesome uses pango's cairo backend for drawing text. Pango does have a backend
for using server-side bitmap fonts, but it is deprecated and unmaintained since
2008. So no, I guess you can't use server side fonts with awesome. Also, to
quote wikipedia: :-)

  "The creator of Wayland mentioned XLFDs as a primary example of what is wrong
   with X."

--- cut here, bullshit only follows ---

I don't know where you got "xfs" from, but that's a file system, not something
that handles fonts. I don't think there is any "standardized" name for this. It
can be called "core fonts" since the requests for these are part of X11's core
protocol while xft uses the RENDER extension.
Also, xft usually stands for the "X FreeType interface library" which only let's
you use the freetype library with X11. The whole concept here is the opposite of
server-side fonts. Instead of having a hardcoded list of fonts in the X11 server
which can't be changed, clients upload the fonts that they want to the server.
So this means that drawing text through Xft / cairo allows you to use any font
you want while server-side fonts only have a predefined list.

I checked my Xorg.0.log and my server font path contains e.g.
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc which contains a lot of gzipped pcf files. Google then
found this:

--- cut here, bullshit only above ---

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2006-January/msg00001.html

I haven't tested this myself, but according to that mailing list thread, you can
use .pcf fonts with some fontconfig magic (copying the file to the right place,
running fc-cache to get a fonts.cache file which fontconfig (oh, I forgot
fontconfig in my above list!) then uses to find the font which means that xft &
pango will be able to use the font).

Sadly, I don't found any good tutorial for that when googling for "pango pcf
font".

Hope this helps,
Uli
--
- Buck, when, exactly, did you lose your mind?
- Three months ago. I woke up one morning married to a pineapple.