On 28.10.2011 21:21, Daniel Martí wrote:
> Dear awesome fellows,
>
> I'm trying to make a dio (disk input/output) which adds new devices as
> they are mounted. So, for instance, it would have /dev/sda detected as
> the system hard disk, and it would append the data for /dev/sdX in
> case an external drive was to be mounted.
>
> How would you do that? Looking at 'mount' every few seconds, looking
> at /media/xxx, making the udev rules call a bash script with
> awesome-client...?

1. create an udev-rule for automounting devices (arch linux wiki has a
lot of examples for this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Auto_mounting_USB_devices

2. watch /media/ for new devices

This is how I would do it...step 1 is already accomplished ;) I think
it's way more clever to let udev do the hardware and related system work
(=mounting).

Thorsten