I don't know is there something like this in awful or anywhere, but I've written my own implementation of this feature. Take a look at it here:

https://github.com/alexander-yakushev/awesompd/blob/master/awesompd.lua

Lines from 985 to 1026. It is ugly as hell but works pretty solidly. Here's how it looks like: https://awesome.naquadah.org/w/images/Awesompd_example_4.png

Regards,
Alexander

On 11/21/2011 04:13 PM, Adam Jimerson wrote:
I am wanting to write a Awesome widget that allows for searching, if one doesn't already exists for this. My goal is I want to be able to hit a key combo, something like modkey + s because it is currently unused on my system, and it opens up a promptbox much like modkey+r or modkey+x, then takes the user input and uses as the search terms for the system locate command (or a Lua module if this exits), will dig further into this idea when I get there. Looking at my rc.lua file at the two examples of using promptbox it is unclear how the user input could captured in a way that it could be handed off to an external Lua script. The run command passed the input directly to run() which is not useful to me and the "Run Lua code" is just as confusing how it takes the input and passes it to awful.util.eval.

If there is any documentation or pointers on doing this or something similar please point me to them.