I'm thought there was a question about this a short while ago and I had the
same desire - Here's what I did to fulfil my needs...

    Find the following section...

        -- <Signals>
        -- Signal function to execute when a new client appears.
        client.add_signal("manage", function (c, startup)"

    Skip down a bit further to...

        -- Put windows in a smart way, only if they does not set an initial
position.
        if not c.size_hints.user_position and not
c.size_hints.program_position then
            awful.placement.no_overlap(c)
            awful.placement.no_offscreen(c)
        end

    Add the following lines after that...

        if not (c.name == "david" or c.name == "Guake!") then      --
applications you do NOT want to affect
            --naughty.notify({ text=c.name })
            local geometry = c:geometry()
            if geometry.y < mywibox[c.screen]:geometry().y +
mywibox[c.screen]:geometry().height then
                geometry.y = mywibox[c.screen]:geometry().y +
mywibox[c.screen]:geometry().height + c.border_width
                c:geometry(geometry)
            end
        end

Note 1: Assumes "top" - change the .y & .height to .x & .width for "left" or
change the logic for "bottom" or "right"

Note 2: Name of the wibox array is "mywibox" - change to suit yours ;-)

Regards

Dave