On 28.02.2012 23:24, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28 2012, dodo wrote:
>
>> Some time ago I implemented titlebars for git/master, using them ever since.
>>
>> https://github.com/dodo/uzful/blob/master/widget/titlebar.lua
>>
>> If somebody is interested I can clean up the code a little bit further
>> and provide a patch for upstream.
>
> Would be nice. I'd like to have Uli opinion on that. :)

You broke my mail filter! Due to the two mailing lists, I received the mail
twice and both mails were sorted into the awesome-devel folder. How dare you!
:-(

(Yes, I know, I should use List-Id instead of "To"...)

For the issue at hand:
The shadows below the titlebar happen because in 3.4 the titlebar is implemented
as an independent window which has nothing to do with the real client. Since
each top-level window gets its own shadow, the titlebar gets its own shadow,
too.

In other words, the approach that 3.4 uses for titlebars is broken. Not only in
this regard, but also with various other issues. Also, tabbing can't be sanely
implemented with this approach IMHO. This are the reasons why titlebars were
removed from master (AFAIK) and we made plans to implement them properly
(Reparenting and all that stuff).

Having said all that, dodo's titlebar code is just a rewrite of 3.4's titlebars
ontop of master and thus has the same flaws. Since this code isn't in the C
core, it might have more flaws. From a quick look at the code, I have no idea
how the client is made "smaller" so that the titlebar contribute's to the
clients geometry.
In other words: Shouldn't the titlebar in a tiled layout overlap with the bottom
edge of the client north of it? If this is only useful with floating clients,
then I'd give this a NAK.

Uli,
who isn't much of a titlebar fan. :-(

(Sadly, doing titlebars via reparenting doesn't really fit all that well into
our widget layout code. Switching from "client" objects to something more
abstract would break most of awful. I don't have much time these days.)

--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
 people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."