I just tried something in my `rc.lua' and it worked nicely, so I'm
sharing this with everyone on the list.

My original function for toggling the maximized state of a window was
the one provided in the `awesomerc.lua.in' of the Git sources:

    awful.key({ modkey, "Control" }, "m",
        function (c)
            c.maximized_horizontal = not c.maximized_horizontal
            c.maximized_vertical   = not c.maximized_vertical
        end)

Now I started using the following extra few lines of code:

    awful.key({ modkey, "Control" }, "m",
        function (c)
            c.maximized_horizontal = not c.maximized_horizontal
            c.maximized_vertical   = not c.maximized_vertical
+
+           -- Remove border from windows that are maximized in both
+           -- directions, and then re-add the default theme border when
+           -- the window is restored.
+           if c.maximized_vertical and c.maximized_horizontal then
+             c.border_width = 0
+           else
+             c.border_width = beautiful.border_width
+           end
        end)

This removes the border from windows when they are maximized in both
vertical and horizontal direction.  It mimics the behavior of e.g. the
Metacity window-manager in Gnome.