On 09/06/12 19:18, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> On 09.06.2012 19:04, Rainer M Krug wrote: [...]
>> OK - I installed awesome in a non-standard location by using
>>
>> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/rkrug/inst/awesome/ make make install
>>
>> which looks fine for me, as I can easily delete th directory
>> /home/rkrug/inst/awesome/ and it
>> is gone. In addition, it does not interfere with my Ubuntu stable awesome
>> install, and the
>> debian menu is still there.
>>
>> So: But how can I use my new installation? I could specify the path to the
>> new awesome in
>> the xsessions file to start it, but I assume that awesome-client will then
>> be the one
>> installed system wide?
>
> awesome-client should be identical between both versions. It's just a shell
> script, so you
> could use "diff" to check for differences.

Makes sense - I'll check. And if I modyfy PATH as you suggest below, the new
awesome-client would
be used anyway.

>> Is there an easy way, of using my git awesone installation, but still having
>> the stable one
>> installed via ubuntu available?
>
> I guess I'd just add that path to $PATH:
>
> PATH=/home/rkrug/inst/awesome/bin:$PATH
>
> Since it comes before /usr/bin in $PATH, the apps in there would be found
> first.

Modifying the PATH would certainly acommodate that the new version would be
used, but what about
the lua libraries? What are the seach paths for these?

If I modify PATH and start awesome, will it first look for lua libraries in
/home/rkrug/inst/awesome/lib ?

Rainer