From: Bryan Gardiner [mailto:b...@khumba.net]
Sent: Sunday, 29 July 2012 5:44 AM
To: awesome@naquadah.org
Subject: Re: Any key binding to collapse the "a" menu?

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:53:24 +0100
Javier Garcia <tirengar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as you know by default there is a menu on the upper left corner that
> show the apps.
>
> Is there any key binding to collapse that menu after open it with the
> mouser?
>
> Javi

Hi Javier,

I'm looking at my Awesome 3.4.9 files, so forgive me if there are any
differences to your version.

There are three ways to open the app menu: clicking on the launcher in the
top-left, right-clicking on the desktop, or Mod+w.  By default
Mod+w allows keys to be used to navigate the menu, whereas the other
two don't.  But we can change this!

Right-clicking on the desktop is easy to change.  Search for

> root.buttons(awful.util.table.join(
>     awful.button({ }, 1, function () mymainmenu:toggle() end),

in your rc.lua and change "toggle()" to "toggle({ keygrabber = true })".  To
make the launcher grab keys as well, we can change this:

> mylauncher = awful.widget.launcher({ image =
image(beautiful.awesome_icon),
>                                      menu = mymainmenu })

to this:

> mylauncher = awful.widget.launcher({ image =
image(beautiful.awesome_icon),
>                                      command = "" })
> mylauncher:buttons(awful.util.table.join(
>     mylauncher:buttons(),
>     awful.button({ }, 1, function ()
>                            mymainmenu:toggle({ keygrabber = true })
>                          end)))

Then, right-arrow can be used to open submenus and applications, and left
can go back and close.

Cheers,
Bryan