Ok, just dropping in on this.
The power management if i get it right is not an option(And not the job of awesome), however, as per the title of this conversation, the default config sucks. It's not bad for what it is, it shows a lot of the available functionality, but i found it extremely inconvenient to use, and i get the impression that it's meant more for a demonstration than for a usage case.

It might not be a bad idea to include a couple more rcs in the package, maybe one with some sort of dynamic tagging, and one with plenty of widgets, and one with a lot of behaviour settings for different apps, run-or-raise, sizing of program windows which make sense, vi like input etc.

I guess those should be simple and self contained in the rc, you probably don't want to include loads of user modules which will clutter everything, just a few different rcs to work from.

more or less everything else about awesome is great!
Yussi