I think you can match with the pid. (
http://awesome.naquadah.org/doc/api/modules/client.html#client has a field
called pid)

The pid will remain the same if you run your program via a script with exec
So you can make a wrapper script that generates the rules using its pid,
feeds them to awesome-client, then exec the actual program

However, the awesome ruleset would grow a lot with this method, wouldn't
cleaning such generated rules be necessary ? I don't think this is so easy,
but maybe with a timeout, or auto-cleaning the rule when it has been
applied to a window, is possible ? (this exeeds my awesome configuration
knowledge)