I'm using something slightly more complicated: a C module that uses XCB
to query for the status of caps lock and num lock, and then a Lua module
so it's easier to integrate in my rc.lua.

The C module is here:
https://github.com/Schnouki/dotfiles/tree/master/awesome/lousy (needs
Swig), the Lua module is here:
https://github.com/Schnouki/dotfiles/blob/master/awesome/locksmon.lua,
and finally my rc.lua is here:
https://github.com/Schnouki/dotfiles/blob/master/awesome/rc.lua (look
for "locksmon").

It's not perfect (if you press your caps lock / num lock for more than
0.1 second before releasing it, the change won't be displayed
correctly -- tweakable in locksmon.lua), but I like it as it avoids
spawning a new process just to check for the keyboard status.

Cheers,
Thomas