First my use case (perhaps someone will suggest a different way to deal with
this):
I use dynamic tagging facilities in awesome (and tyrranical). I have
configuration for most applications that I use but I often connect to several
hosts and for each I create a separate tag so that I don't mess up.

Now the issue is that when I disconnect my laptop from docking station, awesome
restarts due to XRandR change and all the consoles and apps without specific
rules end up on the first tag.

I came up with a possible solution:
    * For each client awesome would set custom X property[1]
    * On restart awesome would look at that custom property and it would
      override whatever rules were configured

There are possible caveats but I'd say this might still be useful.

Is this perhaps something that someone else has already implemented? Couldn't
find anything in the archives. Ideally this would be done in the library code,
but as PoC I might just do a custom configuration

[1] xprop -f WM_AWESOME_TAGS 8s -set WM_AWESOME_TAGS tag1,tag2

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky

PGP: 7B087241
jabber: stanis...@ochotnicky.com