Hello Leo,

Wibox and awful.wibox are less or more the same module. In Awesome 3.4.*,
the "wibox" (without awful) refer to the C module provided by the awesome
core package while awful.wibox is a wrapper that add features such as wibar
(wibox bar) and workarea management.

In Awesome 3.5, "wibox" is a lua library. Awful.wibox still exist, but they
are now two different libraries. If your widget is designed for Awesome
3.5, you cannot use it in Awesome 3.4. Your options are to use a 3.4
version of it or upgrade to awesome 3.5 using the Debian experimental
packages. If you have other questions, feel free to ask them.

Emmanuel