On 2014–02–13 John Smith wrote:

> Anyone knows why the Awesome package in the upcoming long term
> release of Ubuntu (14.04) is outdated?

Ubuntu pulls the packages from Debian and awesome in Debian is not
being updated due to #736314¹.

On 2014-01-22 Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

> I don't think I will have time to investigate this issue soon
> though...

This means the Debian bug will not be fixed soon and Debian and
Ubuntu will probably not be updated to 3.5. I think for Ubuntu it's
too late now anyway, but I hope that this issue gets resolved until
the next Debian release is frozen (est. end of this year).

This means that most likely you will have an updated awesome in the
next-next Ubuntu LTS. That's something to look forward to, isn't it?
;)

> This is unfortunate, as Ubuntu 14.04 is a long term release, so
> there will be a large part of the userbase that will be stuck in
> the past.

I totally agree.

Marco

¹ https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=736314