On 21.02.2014 23:52, Manuel Kasser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little confused with a detail in the titlebar-implementation in
> awesome.
> I took the titlebar-code from the reference-rc.lua.
> Now I want to work on titlebar-stuff and noticed that the titlebar is
> set by setting the widget of the wibox "titlebar"/awful.titlebar(c).
> However, there is no awful.titlebar.show(c) in there, so is
> titlebar.show() an implicit effect of
> awful.titlebar(c):set_widget(layout) or do I lack overview over my
> configuration?

awful.titlebar(c, args) has two arguments. The first one is the client, the
second a list of options to apply to the titlebar. The function then returns the
drawable for that titlebar.

If no args are given, some default values are used. For the titlebar's height,
this is 1.5 times the height of the default font. So calling awful.titlebar()
without any arguments gives the titlebar a non-zero size.

This is in contrast to the default titlebar size of 0 that is used in the C code
and which effectively removes the titlebar.

Because this is indeed a bit confusing, awesome 3.5.2 added the functions
awful.titlebar.show(c, position), .hide and .toggle.

Cheers,
Uli

P.S.: And I just noticed that you will run into lua errors if you try to show a
non-existent titlebar...
--
<alanc> I think someone had a Xprint version of glxgears at one point,
    but benchmarking how many GL pages you can print per second